My Singapore

Size of Work: 18 by 24 inches

Acrylic Paint on Masonite Board

Final Work

Idea
I chose to paint a picture of a traditional Korean dessert, bingsu. I remembered when I first came to Singapore I had difficulty adjusting to the new country. I was really upset that I had to say goodbye to my family, friends, and Korea. But one thing that comforted me back then was bingsu. Bingsu was one of the few things that helped me feel at home. Thus, when I thought about Singapore the first thing that popped up to my mind was bingsu that I still enjoy today!

Processes Used
For this art piece, I started off with contour lines to outline the big shapes then went over it with details after filling it in. When I first started this piece I kept struggling as the artwork didn’t really look realistic and very flat. So I decided to print out the pictures so I could see closely if I was missing any details. That’s when I realized it wasn't the details but the light. There was a dark, medium, and light to my bingsu as the light was coming from one side. Luckily, I learned that acrylic it’s easy to go over with another layer so it was easy to go over my mistakes. At the beginning of class, we also tested acrylic. That experience really helped (Mrs. Harvey’s right moment to do the experiment :) ) for I realized acrylic is really thick and I could give theses rough spiky textures to my ice cream and blend colors in if I mixed water with acrylic. Overall, since it was my first time using acrylic I learned a lot over the time drawing this piece and is very happy with the outcome.

Process Photos




References

(Added and changed toppings due to color restriction)



Comments

Popular Posts