Journal #9: Chain Poem with the word NIGHT

1. What were the challenges in linking up these worlds into a poem?
The words being in a random order definitely was the most annoying. It would have been easier if words that were similar were grouped together like "calm, quiet, peace" were in one row, however, there were always words in the middle like "asleep" which didn't make as much of an association to the other three emotion-related words. This challenged me to add sentences so that they break the flow wouldn't break or be unnatural. I also didn't just randomly start drafting, but I had to think about the theme or topic I would talk about which was challenging. In the end, though I decided to go with a more peaceful version of the night rather than the cliche of dark being associated with fear. This was for the words I chose were softer than harsh words like "scared." I also made several drafts in different ways I could write the same sentence. For example, with the word "space," I could write "The empty space soon fills up" but with switching the order of the words I liked it better as "Filling in the once empty space that was dark."

Were there any connections or associations the surprised you?
The idea of this poem was inspired by my current situation. As a kid I always wanted the morning to come quickly for I wanted to play outside, however, now as a high schooler, the poem expressed my feelings of how I wished the night would come faster so my tired body could sleep. The line, "The city goes calm and everyone gets quiet" is because unlike in middle school where till late at night people would be texting each other now everyone is tired so just falls asleep. Before having class analyzing ACT 3 scene 2 I though Juliet wanted night to come faster so she could meet Romeo. I didn't know that night was a symbolism of their secret relationship and Romeo.

                                               When will the night come again?

Comments

Popular Posts