Woven Bowl Blog post

 








Woven Bowl Blog Post

Construction

Photo 1: Whole piece



Photo 2: Rim/finish







Photo 3: Detail




Reflection:  

Describe your use of pattern, rim, and detail that made your piece unique.


Pattern: The pattern I did was 3 coils and one strip. I chose this pattern because I liked how the strip and coil were equal widths but different patterns. I also liked how the 3 coils made it look like raked soil where carrots are planted and the strip looked like plain fields that went along with my rabbit detail.

Rim: For my rim, I chose to do the twisted cube. To make it unique and cover the rough-cut transitions I also added 2 tiny twisted coils on the sides.

Detail: For my detail, I made a rabbit covered by a blanket that has carrots. To give my rabbit more realism I used a toothpick to make furs and for my blanket, I used stamps to give patterns.

What did you find difficult in the construction process and why?

Some difficulties I faced were being precise. For example, when weaving I checked countless times that the spacing was even and the clays are straight. Or when doing my rim I made sure you couldn't see the scored places, braids are evenly spaced, etc.

Glaze Record

Weave:

Under: Teacher palette - Fudge brown

Top: Teacher palette - Granny Smith


Rim: Teacher palette - Fudge brown

Braids: Teacher palette - Frog Green


Detail:

Bunny: LG - Opaque White, Teacher palette - Pig pink

Carrot: Under = Teacher palette - Scarlet red, Top: Teacher palette - Carrot

Blanket: Under = Teacher palette - Robin's egg, Top: Teacher palette - Pig pink


Pre fire glaze photo

Post-fire glaze photo






Final Reflection

Describe your thoughts regarding the final results of your piece:

I remember Mr. Pabotoy telling us that this project doesn't require skill but concentration. Now that I have finished this project I realize what he means. I took a lot of time on this piece for when doing construction, we needed to concentrate that the clay was evenly spaced and straight. For the glazing, we also had to be detailed in getting all the crevices covered in glaze. All of this took focus and time, not skill.

Which areas do you think you need more practice?

I think I need more practice with glazes as I found it really difficult to paint on the glaze neatly without getting it on other areas. For example, when painting my braids it took a lot of time trying not to get the glaze on the rim. 

What would you change about your design?

I like the contrast of the brown and light green, but I think if I had another chance I would use a lighter color for my braids for it would not only add to further contrast with my rims but also give a brighter feeling. I think instead of twisted coils on the side just putting 3 think coils on the sides would also be nice as it would match with the base piece.  I also think putting the carrot in between the weaves would also be more interesting.

What areas of the project do you think you needed more clarification or instruction and why?

I think the instructions were all really clear as we also got to see a demo for almost every step. Thank you!

Comments

Popular Posts