Journal #5: Perspectives on Love and Marriage

In Act 1 Scene 2-4 we see many characters' perspectives on marriage such as Lady Capulet, Juliet, and the nurse. From a modern perspective in terms of marriage, I agree with Juliet and the nurse. Juliet who is proposed to the idea of marriage says, "It is an honor that I dream not of. (Act I, scene iii, 66-69)" Firstly, Juliet is still young and I believe she still has much to do with her life. Unlike Lady Capulet, I believe marriage should be done with a close relationship that develops over time like the way nurse explains her relationship rather than the importance of alliances. 


We also see Romeo's and Mercurio's perspective on love. We see Romeo heavily suffering from his love for Rosaline that she does not accept. Romeo is often seen sulking as he says, “Why then, O brawling love, O loving hate! Misshapen chaos of well-seeming forms! Feather of lead, bright smoke, cold fire, sick health. This love feel I, that feel no love in this." Act I, scene i, 168-175) Mercurio seeing Romeo in this position suggests that, "If love be rough with you, be rough with love. Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down.” (Act I, scene iv, 27-28) It is an inevitable truth that love brings as much pain as it can be gained. I agree with Mercurio that Romeo should try to overcome  and fight back by doing things that can beat love's brutality on him such as activities or continuing in stealing Rosaline's heart.

Comments

Popular Posts