Art 8 Surreal Sandwich Unit
In Art 8 this Semester we worked on a 2D Design unit focusing on Surrealism. I needed to create a Sandwich design to demonstrate my understanding of the Surrealism Movement in Art History. I learned many techniques about how to work with different media such as acrylic paint, water paint, and color pencils. I was given the freedom to choose specifically what media I worked with for the design I created. I first ideated 4 possible ideas for this unit: pool theme, outer space theme, creating a sandwich with just splattering paint them, and winter theme. Then I selected one to try as a full-size draft. The Sandwich design I chose was the pool theme for I thought it showed the surrealism well but could tell enough that it was a sandwich.
- Identify how you used one of the Elements of Design in your work? I know that a real sandwich has many textures with the different ingredients inside the bread, so I decided to show that my sandwich also had texture by pouring white paint on my dripping sunscreen to represent mayonnaise.
- Identify how you used one of the Principles of Design in your work? Show photo(s) to support your answer. I used balance by making each of my objects inside my sandwich the same size so it shares the feeling of stability.
- What part of your designs was the most challenging for you to create, and how did you resolve this challenge? I think I had the most trouble blending the colors to show lighting. I resolved this problem by looking at some videos and found out that you should use the dark colors outside and the light colors inside. Also, you have to know what point the light is coming from to be accurate.
- What part of your design are you most proud of? I'm really proud of my red and white striped tube at the bottom because I worked hard to show lighting and color use effectively.
- If you could do this assignment again what would you keep the same and what would you do differently? I think I would work more on my lighting and take away the botches or interference with paint contact with each other that made it looked messy.


Comments
Post a Comment